Sunday, June 11, 2006

Leaks fixed!

I solved my leakage problems today and enjoyed a pleasant twilight ride on my nice new bike. It was a perfect evening for riding, very nice.

A different set of float bowl gaskets took care of the carb leaks. The oil leak was more difficult because the oil goes all over and it's hard to tell where the origin is. I eventually traced it to the rocker spindle plate for the left exhaust valve. As I'm sure you all know, the plate is actually a "sandwich" of two plates, with a gasket for each. It turned out that the outer plate was bowed, forming a gap that let the oil just come squirting out all over the place. I fixed it by replacing the bad set with another one from a spare head that I happen to have on the shelf. The parts were used but in good condition. No more leak!

The front brake still needs some attention but it has improved with use. I think a new set of pads would be worth a try also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home