Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Beginning

Why on earth would an otherwise-rational (mostly) middle aged woman buy a 35 year old motorcycle off ebay?

Well, it wasn't just a crazy impulse. I've been involved with motorcycles almost my entire life. I'd previously owned a Norton 850 Commando. My dad bought it new in 1973 then gave it to me a few years later. I loved the bike, but it was hard to maintain and it was unreliable. So it eventually went to a new home.

I always regretted letting it go though, and thought that someday perhaps I'd get another one. I never did, but I never quite gave up hope.

Then I discovered ebay. They had motorcycles for sale. They had Nortons!

Before long I found a 1971 750 Commando in the listings. It looked great in the photos and the owner glibly gave me all the right answers to my questions. So I bought it. It was in Michigan and I'm in Colorado so I had the bike shipped. In April, 2004 I drove down to the ForwardAir terminal in Denver and picked up my Norton. Finally, after all these years, I had fulfilled my dream!

And so my adventures began....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home